Wednesday 24 February 2016

La petite mort

The term "la petite mort", or the little death, refers to a momentary loss of consciousness. These days it is most often used to describe the sensation of orgasm, rather than the fit of the vapours that it used to denote.

I now have a more modern definition to propose: being forced offline. I noticed my hard drive starting to act up at the end of last week. I just about had time to ensure that I had everything backed up before it died altogether.  So I spent several days connected only by my tablet and smartphone, which are no substitute if your primary purpose online is to write stuff.

The guys at the local computer den were unable to rescue very much, so I am now in the middle of the laborious task of loading everything back up.  However, there's lots going on -- the appalling outlook for Canada's Federal finances, tomorrow's Ontario budget, the possibility of Brexit -- so I will be back to normal posting as soon as possible.  

No comments: