Tuesday 8 December 2009

And if my granny had wings, she'd be an Airbus

So, the government's poodle, sorry, watchdog, the Committee on Climate Change, says that a third runway can be built at Heathrow, the world's worst-located major airport, without breaching the UK's carbon reduction targets....but only if (and I'm not making any of this up) aircraft become more efficient, the price of flying is sharply increased, a high-speed rail network gets built, other sectors reduce their carbon emissions by 90%, and my granny starts flying non-stop to Sydney in an all-economy configuration. (OK, I am making the last one up).

Shockingly, The Times has declared the committee's findings to be "good news" for the UK. I suppose they are, if you're one of those people (a minority, I'm guessing) who are prepared to live in the dark and go everywhere by bike just to preserve the right to keep using the developed world's least popular airport. Most of us, though, will continue to do almost anything, even flying out of the glorified bus station that is Luton airport, to avoid going anywhere near the wretched place.

No comments: