Sunday 22 March 2009

Who'd want to be me??

One morning this week my mail included a nice letter from a hotel in Vienna, thanking me for the positive feedback I'd given them on my recent stay. Vienna, we have a problem! I haven't been to that fine city for several years and have never stayed at the hotel in question. I contacted them to see if there had been some mistake, but was told that someone using my name and my exact home address had indeed spent a night there in mid-March.

A quick check of my bank accounts has confirmed that no money has disappeared, and there are no dodgy entries on my credit report. Still, it's a bit worrying. Fortunately my bank has provided me with the services of a security company, and they're looking into it for me. One thing we're agreed on is that we're probably not looking for a master criminal here: if you're going around pretending to be someone else, it's probably not the smartest idea to fill out the feedback form when you check out of a hotel!

More on this as it happens....

No comments: