Saturday 22 January 2011

No kidding, Professor Sherlock

Amazing revelations from the world of academia today. Apparently IKEA sets up its stores to encourage people to spend money! Yes, it's true. Here's an extract from the report in The Times:

After studying the layout of the company’s North London store, Alan Penn, director of the Virtual Reality Centre for the Built Environment at University College London, has concluded that Ikea has pioneered an ingenious architectural strategy to coax its customers into buying as much flat-packed furniture as possible. The success of the company is, in part, down to confusing their customers into submission, he believes.

“It is so well done and so cunningly done that I have little doubt that it is intentional,” Professor Penn said.


Jeez Prof, you sure about that??

I assume that an insightful thinker like Prof Penn must have full academic tenure, so I may ask him to supervise my work on the PhD I just decided to undertake. I'm going to try to solve the age-old mystery of why supermarkets have racks of chocolate bars and sweets at the checkouts.

No comments: